|This article is a work in progress. Please expect frequent changes. Help and feedback is much appreciated!|
There are six different backgrounds for your Potential rating representing six distinct ranks. The following table includes all ranks, along with Potential required and rough descriptions of them.
|Blue||Past||0.00||The starting rank.|
|Green||Present||3.50||This rank likely encompasses people playing mainly on Present difficulty.|
|Purple||Future||7.00||Purple-ranked players are probably starting to break into more difficult Future charts.|
|Shiny purple||Future+||10.00||Those in this rank have probably cleared all level 9 charts and a few level 9+ charts. At the higher end, they've cleared most, if not all, of the Future charts in the game.|
|Shiny red||Beyond||11.00||Anyone with this rank likely has hard cleared all Future charts, with many of them being Pure Memories.|
|Starred red||Beyond+||12.00||A rank held by the most skilled, most consistent players in the world.|
First, it's necessary to know several keywords:
- Chart constant - a level value set internally that subdivides difficulty levels into decimal points on a chart-by-chart basis
- Chart potential - a weighted score for a chart based on its difficulty (in chart constant) and the score achieved
- Recent entries - a list of the ten charts you've played with the highest chart potential out of your most recent 30 played songs (charts can appear more than once, more widely known as "plays")
- Best entries - a list of the 30 charts you've gotten the highest chart potential on, of all time (charts can only appear once)
Your Potential is the average of the 40 total chart potentials recorded in recent entries and best entries. It's displayed up to two decimal points, with any more being discarded (floor operation). However, it's very likely the calculations use more than two decimal points.
Because of this, the main goal to get the highest Potential, is to play songs with higher chart constant with high score, and to get as high score as you can in harder songs.
If you continue to get EX ranks on a single song, you will never lose Potential. Also, if you lose the song in the middle due to a HARD skill, eg. from Ilith or Tairitsu (Grievous Lady), you won't lose Potential, nor will your score be reflected in your recent entries. However, if your chart potential increased when this happens, it will be reflected in your recent entries, and you could gain Potential from it.
Main article: Songs by Chart Constant
Many songs already have known chart constants at the Japanese Wiki. These are discovered using one of two methods:
- choka_noah's method - make a new account and try to score as close to 9,500,000 as you can on a single song 3 times, then use the resulting Potential to derive the chart constant
- robert_cpp's method - calculate the chart constant based on steps gained after playing a song in World Mode with level 20 Tairitsu (Grievous Lady) or Ilith for their high STEP stats, which give more precision
At 9,500,000 points, the chart potential you receive upon playing a chart is equal to its chart constant. If it's higher, it will add to the chart constant, and if it's lower, it will subtract from it. Below is a table showing the formula for this value used at different scores.
|≥ 9,950,000|| Chart constant + 1.5 + (Score - 9,950,000)/100,000|
(a rapid increase)
|9,949,999 ~ 9,800,000|| Chart constant + 1.0 + (Score - 9,800,000)/300,000 * (0.723~0.730)|
(slow increase; how much it slows isn't exactly known)
|≤ 9,800,000||Chart constant + (Score - 9,500,000)/300,000 (lower limit is 0)|
The score at which chart potential is 0 is 9,500,000 - chart constant * 300,000, and matches up with the score at which step gain in World Mode is at its lower limit, 2.5.
Below are the major points for chart potential.
|EX||10,000,000||Chart constant + 2.0|
|9,950,000||Chart constant + 1.5|
|9,800,000||Chart constant + 1.0|
|A||9,200,000||Chart constant - 1.0|
|B||8,900,000||Chart constant - 2.0 (if the chart constant is less than 2, this is 0)|
|C||8,600,000||Chart constant - 3.0 (if the chart constant is less than 3, this is 0)|
For example, Sayonara Hatsukoi [FTR] has a chart constant of 6.5, so if you get a Pure Memory (10 million points), the chart potential will be 8.5. This is the value that gets saved in your recent/best entries.
Maximum Potential Edit
In order to have the maximum Potential available, you need to have the highest possible chart potential that can be recorded in recent entries and best entries.
Recent entries Edit
Since chart potentials of the same song can appear infinity times per chart as the recent entries, you can get the maximum total of recent entries possible by getting a Pure Memory on Grievous Lady [FTR] 10 times. Each chart potential reflected in recent entries is that:
GL's CC (11.2) + 2.0 = 13.2
Playing 10 times will give you so:
13.2 * 10 = 132
Best entries Edit
Since chart potentials of the same songs can appear only once per chart as the best entries, you can get the maximum total of best entries possible by getting a Pure Memory on 30 charts that have the highest chart constant on Future:
- Chart constant 9.6: carmine:scythe, CROSS†SOUL, Yosakura Fubuki (1 of those)
- Chart constant 9.7: Ignotus, Quon, Red and Blue, The Message
- Chart constant 9.8: Cybernecia Catharsis, Dreamin' Attraction!!, Fallensquare, Memory Forest, Nhelv, Party Vinyl, Illegal Paradise, Sulfur
- Chart constant 9.9: SOUNDWiTCH
- Chart constant 10+: Modelista, trappola bewitching, PRAGMATISM, conflict, Ether Strike, Nirv lucE, Metallic Punisher, Singularity, αterlβus, γuarδina, cyanine, Sheriruth, Axium Crisis, Halcyon, Fracture Ray, Grievous Lady
The total chart constant of those songs are 301.9, so getting a Pure Memory on all of those songs will give you a total of:
301.9 + 2 * 30 = 361.9
Finally, add the total recent entries and the total best entries then divide to 40, we will have:
361.9 + 132 / 40 = 12.35
Because of this, the highest Potential one can have under the current situation is 12.35.
Any song with a chart constant of 9.7 or above will increase the maximum Potential possible to have when being added.
Other values are still under investigation.